10 Free Things To Do in Barcelona
This post may contain affiliate links. See About Us for more information.
Barcelona is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe. It is a vibrant city, with delicious food, beautiful architecture and of course – the beach! Let’s discover some of the many free things to do in Barcelona!
Looking for a place to stay? Check out these top 10 hostels in Barcelona too!
10 Free Things To Do in Barcelona
- Wandering Barcelona’s food markets is one of the most popular things to do in the city. Take in the sights, smells and sounds of Barcelona’s busy La Boqueria market, but be sure to also stop by some of the less famous neighborhood markets too like Santa Caterina. The beautiful Sant Antoni just reopened. Why not check it out? Walking through the markets is free but of course you can also pick up a fresh juice or snack for just a few euros.
- Barcelona is home to many buildings and monuments designed by the famous Catalan architect Antoni Gaudi. It can cost a pretty penny to go inside these buildings. But good news if you don’t have the funds, you can enjoy a lot from the outside too. Take a walk past Sagrada Familia and Casa Batllo to name just two. Read more about our favorite Gaudi sights here.
- With tons of sunshine, the weather is not too bad in Barcelona any time of year. Of course summer is ideal weather for the beach but you can head to the sand even in winter. Take a stroll along the shore to escape the bustle of the city streets, or swim and sunbathe on a sunny day.
- One of Gaudi’s most famous creations is Parc Güell. You’ll need a ticket if you want to explore the special structures like the mosaic walls and benches but you can explore much of the park for free. And in fact you can even visit the entire park for free on one Sunday a month.
- Speaking of interesting art, why not rent a bike and go searching for some of Barcelona’s best street art? Or if you’d prefer to go on foot you can easily get around in Barri Gotic.
- Andalucia is famous for free tapas, but did you know you can find them in Barcelona as well? Try Cal Chusco by the beach, Gata Mala or La Xula. And if you’d like to try more of Barcelona’s culinary delights, check out these top food tours.
- Like most cities in Spain, Barcelona has free museum days. Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya is free on Saturday afternoons and the Picasso Museum is free on Thursday evenings. Or get a Barcelona Card and get free admission to many museums plus free public transport.
- Flea markets are always a great place to people watch and bargain hunt. Check out Mercat del Encants on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
- Want to get an amazing view from above the city? Head up to Montjuïc with a picnic and enjoy the views. In summertime you might even catch a concert or an open air film. You can get there via the cable car to avoid the hike uphill.
- Another place to chill out and enjoy killer views are the Bunkers del Carmel. This spot was home to anti aircraft cannons during the Spanish Civil War. Now the cannons are gone but the birds eye view remains.
If you are on a budget you can definitely take advantage of these free things to do in Barcelona. Enjoy your visit!
ALSO CHECK OUT:
- 8 FREE THINGS TO DO IN SEVILLE
- BEST FOOD TOURS IN BARCELONA
- BEST HOSTELS IN BARCELONA
- 10 FREE THINGS TO DO IN MADRID
- 10 FREE THINGS TO DO IN GRANADA
- 10 FREE THINGS TO DO IN LISBON
- 7 BEST MADRID WALKING TOURS
- WHAT TO WEAR IN SPAIN IN SUMMER