10 Free Things To Do in Granada
This post may contain affiliate links. See About Us for more information.
Granada is a gorgeous, historic city whose most famous sight is the Alhambra. But there is much more to see and do and many free things to do in Granada as well.
Put on your comfortable shoes and let’s explore!
10 Free Things To Do in Granada
- Going for a walk is always free, and it is one of the best ways to discover the secrets of Granada. You can wander up and down hills and through the small and crooked alleyways of the Albayzin and Realejo. If you love taking photos you’ll find a lot of great photo opportunities. Be sure to bring a bottle of water with you, as it can get hot! And wear comfy shoes too, you’ll find a lot of steps and uneven paths. Look at this beautiful stone mosaic staircase.
- Visit the old market called the Alcaicería. It is touristy now but you can enjoy the narrow alleys and the architecture. Be sure to stop by the Corral del Carbon as well. It is free to enter and look around.
- Stroll along the River Darro and stop to take photos on the Paseo de los Tristes with beautiful views up to the Alhambra. You can sit on the low wall by the river and chat with your companion. A very romantic thing to do in Granada. There are cafes nearby if you get hungry or thirsty.
- Many of the local museums and monuments have free days, check their websites for the latest information. For example, check out Casa de Zafra, a lovely Moorish carmen house from the 14 and 15th century. Several museums and monuments are free every day for EU residents. Check here for information.
- Go window shopping in the winding Calle Caldereria Neuvo and Calle Caldereria Viejo. You’ll find all sorts of treasures from Moroccan lamps to jewelry, clothing and leather sandals. Stop at a Teteria for a glass of mint tea or a fruit smoothie.
- Entrance to El Banuelo is free certain days of the week including Sunday. This traditional bathhouse is an interesting historic sight.
- Huerta de San Vicente, the summer home of Federico Garcia Lorca, is free on Wednesday afternoons. It is located in the middle of a pretty park with rose gardens and lots of benches to take a break. It’s outside of the historic city so it is a non touristy thing to do in Granada when you are tired of the crowds.
- Take a walk up to the Alhambra through the Puerta de las Granadas and along the shady Cuesta de Gomerez. You need a ticket to the Alhambra to visit the Generalife and Nasrid Palace but access to the Palace of Carlos V, the Museum of the Alhambra and the Baths are free. Enter through the Puerta de la Justicia.
- Visit some of Granada’s beautiful hidden gardens. My favorites are Carmen de los Martires and Carmen de la Victoria. These are also quiet places that can be non touristy things to do in Granada.
- Head to a mirador, especially at sunset. Mirador San Nicolas is the most famous and has a gorgeous view of the sun’s last rays hitting the Alhambra. There are usually street musicians playing songs and lots of people enjoying the views. Some even bring their own beverages.
If you are on a budget you can definitely take advantage of these free things to do in Granada. Enjoy your visit!
CHECK OUT THESE POSTS:
- 8 FREE THINGS TO DO IN SEVILLE
- 8 FREE THINGS TO DO IN CORDOBA
- 10 FREE THINGS TO DO IN MADRID
- 10 FREE THINGS TO DO IN BARCELONA
- COOL PLACES TO STAY IN GRANADA
- CAMPING IN ANDALUCIA