10 Free Things To Do in Madrid
This post may contain affiliate links. See About Us for more information.
Madrid is a busy, cosmopolitan city with plenty to offer visitors. World class museums, delicious restaurants, beautiful architecture and leafy parks.
If you are on a budget you might think a visit to Madrid is not for you. But think again! Here are some amazing free things to do in Madrid if you are trying to save money.
10 Free Things To Do in Madrid
- El Retiro Park has to top the list of free things to do in Madrid. When the weather is nice there really isn’t a better place to spend the day in the city. Find a spot in the shade for a picnic or go for a walk or bike ride. The park is huge and there are many corners to discover. You’ll find a pool where you can rent boats, leafy trees, flowers in the springtime and more.
- Are you a fan of street art? Why not see what masterpieces you can spot on a walk around neighborhoods like Chueca, La Latina, Lavapies and Malasaña. You’ll be sure to pass by many other interesting things on your stroll, including cute cafes, interesting architecture and more. A street art adventure is a good way to get familiar with the heartbeat of a city. Want to learn more about the street art you see? You might like this bike tour that looks for the best street art in town.
- Madrid is famous for its museums including the Prado and Reina Sofia. Did you know that you can visit both of these museums for free? Yes indeed. The Prado is free Mon-Sat from 6pm – 8pm and Sundays from 5pm – 7pm. Reina Sofia has free hours daily from 7-9pm and Sundays from 2:30 to 7pm. Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza is also free on Mondays from noon to 4pm. Check their websites to confirm current times. Keep in mind the museums will likely be quite crowded on the free days.
- Also located in El Retiro you will find the Palacio de Cristal or Crystal Palace. This marvelous glass structure hosts special art exhibits and is lovely to see on its own. Entrance is free.
- Are you a fan of books and literature? Madrid has a strong literary history and a beautiful national library known as Biblioteca Nacional. It’s the largest library in the world! You can visit for free on your own or sign up for a guided tour.
- Did you know that Madrid has a river running through it? The riverside area known as Madrid Rio can be a nice place to stroll when you tire of the bustle of the city center. Locals often exercise in this area. Rent a bike and ride the paths along the Rio Manazares.
- Madrid has a famous flea market called El Rastro that takes place on Sundays. It can be a fun place to shop and stroll even if you don’t buy anything.
- Are you a fan of sculpture gardens? Then you should check out Museo Arte Público. Located under an overpass bridge, this area is home to 17 abstract sculptures that you can visit for free.
- Head to former slaughterhouse, Matadero Madrid, a new arts and entertainment complex. Entrance is free and you’ll find exhibitions and events as well as a cafe and cinema.
- Another interesting cultural center housed in an old factory is the Tabacalera Promoción del Arte. Inside you’ll find art exhibitions, workshops, classes and even a DIY bicycle repair station. Entrance is free.
If you are on a budget you can definitely take advantage of these free things to do in Madrid.
ALSO CHECK OUT:
- 8 FREE THINGS TO DO IN SEVILLE
- 10 FREE THINGS TO DO IN BARCELONA
- WHAT TO WEAR IN SPAIN IN SUMMER: PACKING GUIDE
- 10 FREE THINGS TO DO IN GRANADA
- 10 FREE THINGS TO DO IN LISBON